WHALES & DOLPHINS
IN PONTA DELGADA
In the Azores you can see marine life like sea birds, turtles and different species of fish.
The archipelago is the perfect place for wildlife tourism.
Ponta Delgada, South Coast of São Miguel Island
Approximately 3 hours
From 60€ (+12 years old)
30€ Children (6-12 years old)
Free for 0-5 years old
9:00am & 1:30pm
Check In Times
8:30am & 1:00pm
Level of Difficulty
Zodiac or Catamaran
Recommended for all ages.
For children and seniors, we strongly advise the catamaran.
- Pre-tour briefing
- Raincoat and pants if necessary
- Life jacket on the zodiac boats
- A marine biologist or nature guide aboard
- Refreshment after the trip (local tea)
- All reservations for whale watching trips will automatically be booked on our catamarans. If you would like to take a zodiac boat instead, please inform us at the time of your booking.
- The duration of this tour can change according to the weather, species location and/or other factors.
- Allow plenty of time for your tour. Please don’t book if you have any commitments right after such as a flight, etc.
- Comfortable clothes and shoes
- Sunscreen, towel, and hat
- Backpack, water, and snacks (bring your own reusable water bottle)
Q: How do I get to São Miguel?
A: There are flight connections from Lisbon, Porto and other main capitals.
Q: I have back problems but I would like to go on a whale watching. Can I do this tour?
A: Futurismo Azores Whale Watching in São Miguel Island has catamarans and zodiac boats. Catamarans are more spacious and comfortable boats. They are equipped with toilets on board. We recommend that you have some medical advice before this experience.
Q: I am pregnant and would like to do whale watching. Is it safe?
A: In this case, we advise to book on our the catamarans, which are more comfortable and stable boats.
Q: What if I am seasick?
A: We strongly advise avoiding eating anything overly spicy, acidic, fatty or dairy before the tour. Don’t overeat but come well fed. Once on the boat, look at the horizon and get some fresh air. If you feel bad, the staff on the boat will be here to help you.
Species You Might See
“FANTASTIC WHALE WATCHING TOUR”
“We had a great time on the Futurismo Whale Watching tour. […] The crew consists of marine biologists who are very passionate about their work and protecting the animals: everything is done in a manner that doesn’t disturb them. […] Definitely a recommended activity.”
VRomeijn – TripAdvisor
“This was one of the best experiences we had on São Miguel! We were with our baby (almost 9 months), and even he had a blast. […] The dolphins were playing in front of the boat, and Futurismo has a lot of knowledge and respect for these wild animals. I would definitely recommend Futurismo!”
Yvonne B – TripAdvisor
“WELL OPERATED WHALE WATCHING TOUR”
“We scheduled another trip after the first because it was so fun and enjoyable. Their boats are in very good condition, the staff is friendly and knowledge. They make safety a priority. The price is a good value for the grata time they deliver. Will definitely book another tour when we return to Ponta Delgada.”
MMGWare – TripAdvisor