Swimming with dolphins
in São Miguel
Swimming with these beautiful and friendly sea mammals may just overwhelm you with the fun and joy they bring. You’ll never feel the same about the wonders of nature.We love making wishes come true
TERRA NOSTRA GARDEN
This enjoyable thermal pool is a highlight of the island. The balmy 350C/950F water is a delight and is certain to soothe aching muscles. Located at the Terra Nostra Botanical Garden in Furnas.The fumarole field of Furnas volcanic complex
SWIM WITH THE DOLPHINS
Nothing compares to swimming in the open Atlantic with wild but friendly dolphins. This is a year-round activity with Futurismo. Our guides will get you comfortable with the gear for a fun experience.Ready for an experience in the deep blue Atlantic?
São Miguel Island (see itinerary below)
Full week (8 days)
If you wish, Futurismo can also arrange accommodation
The multi-day tours are subject to availability of the presented activities.
Check In Times
Dependent on your arrival
Year round (minimum 2 participants)
Level of Difficulty
Zodiac & Van
8 years old (activity operated in zodiac, children have to reach the ground with their feet for safety reasons.)
DAY 1 – Arrival in Ponta Delgada and transfer to your hotel. Free day.
DAY 2 – Swimming with dolphins in Ponta Delgada (half-day). There’s nothing more magical than swimming with these playful creatures as they whistle and leap about you. It truly touches the heart.
Before going out, our marine biologists will explain our safety procedures and rules. We sail with no more than 8 guests for a more comfortable and intimate tour.
Free afternoon. We suggest a city tour of Ponta Delgada, the biggest city of the Azores. This is a charming city of winding streets, cute welcoming restaurants and stunning colonial architecture.
DAY 3 – Swimming with dolphins in Ponta Delgada (half-day). Free afternoon to do other activities. We suggest a jeep tour to Fogo Lake. This pristine spot is an awesome display of nature’s creativity – a deep blue lake set in a volcanic crater. Standing atop the crater’s ridge, you’ll enjoy incredible views of this picturesque scene. Then we’ll head to the warm natural pools and waterfall of Caldeira Velha set in a lush forest, for a tropical afternoon dip.
DAY 4 –
Pick up at your hotel for a full-day tour to Furnas.
- Visit the Calderas in Furnas Lake
- We will explore the village of Furnas to take in the geothermal fumaroles and sample different natural sparkling waters from the region
- Explore the Terra Nostra Botanical Garden with an opportunity to swim in the warm thermal waters (35º – 40ºC / 95º – 105ºF)
- Enjoy a traditional cozido meal for lunch – baked in the volcanic earth
- Visit Gorreana Tea Factory
- Drop off at your Hotel
DAY 5 – Swimming with dolphins in Ponta Delgada (half-day).
Free afternoon. We suggest a whale and dolphin watching experience. Our most popular tour, the whale and dolphin watching here can be active and you may spot different species of cetaceans breaching or swimming alongside your boat!
DAY 6 – Swimming with dolphins and visit to Vila Franca do Campo Islet (full-day tour).
- 3 hours swimming with the dolphins
- We will visit Vila Franca do Campo village
- Lunch at a local restaurant while in Vila Franca do Campo harbor
- Head to the Vila Franca Islet for swimming and snorkeling in a natural pool inside the crater (We recommend you bring your own snorkel and mask)
- Return to Ponta Delgada by boat or by bus
Note: The visit to Vila Franca islet is only possible from June 15 to September 15. As an alternative, we suggest an adventure tour to Sete Cidades with kayaking and biking. Kayaking is easy and fun. We’ll show you how to easily navigate around this stunning lake. And our mountain bikes are your ticket to adventure around the beautiful lake of Sete Cidades.
Another activity can be arranged upon arrival.
DAY 7 – Swimming with dolphins in Ponta Delgada.
Free afternoon. We suggest a hiking tour in Sete Cidades lake. We’ll trek along the crater’s rim with views on one side of a volcanic caldera and the beautiful twin lakes of Sete Cidades. Looking the other direction, we’ll gaze upon the ocean and coastal villages. A delightful excursion with an easy walk and unforgettable vistas.
DAY 8 – Transfer to the airport and departure.
- Transfer airport to hotel and hotel to airport
- 5 swimming with dolphins tours;
- Briefing before the experiences;
- Marine biologist on board; (life vest mandatory on zodiac boats)
- English or Portuguese speaking guides. If you prefer another language, please inform us about it.
- Lunch included on day 4 & 6
- Transportation for the tours outside of Ponta Delgada
- Full day tour to Furnas
- Full-day experience for a swimming with dolphins tour and a visit to Vila Franca Islet
- Cozido lunch on day 4 – starter, Cozido, dessert and drinks included. Cozido contains beef, chicken, pork, spicy sausage, blood sausage, potatoes, sweet potatoes, carrot, cabbage, green kale and yam. All cooked for 6 hours with natural steam only.
- Lunch in a local restaurant on day 6 – starter, fish or beef, dessert and drinks included.
*Vegetarian options on request. If you have a special diet or food restrictions, please inform us at least 24h before the tour.
- Comfortable light clothes
- Walking boots or shoes,
- Swimming suit and towel
- Flip flops
- Bottle of water to refill
Q: How do I get to the Azores?
A: There are direct flights from Lisbon and Porto. Europe, USA and Canada.
Q: Which level should I expect from the activities planned during the package?
A: They are easy level.
Q: This package of active holidays is exclusively for kids older than 8 years old?
A: For safety reasons, this package is available for children from 8 years old. The swimming with dolphins tours are operated in a zodiac boat and children need to be able to reach the ground with their feet.
Q: Can I touch the dolphins?
A: No. Our responsible swim with dolphin guidelines forbid touching these inquisitive but wild animals.
Q: Can I hear the dolphins?
A: Yes. It is very common to hear them communicating underwater.
Q: How many dolphins can I see?
A: Sometimes less than a dozen, other times up to 50 or more.
Q: Can I swim with the whales?
A: No, swimming with whales is forbidden in the Azores. However, there are several species of dolphins that you are able to swim with.
Species You Might See
“1 WEEK ADVENTURE HOLIDAY IN AZORES”
“We did a few activities in the week, including canyoning, swimming with dolphins, kayaking, hot springs and a short mountain bike around a lake, all with Futurismo. I would highly recommend them.”
Geraldine G – Tripadvisor
“ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC EXPERIENCE”
“The guide was knowledgeable and informative, and both she and the captain (as well as the lookouts on land) were so sharp-eyed that we saw many different species on one trip: Sperm whales, Minke whales, possibly Blainville’s beaked whales, as well as many of the ever-delightful common dolphins, and four loggerhead turtles. It was an amazing trip..”
Joanne Claussen – Facebook
PHOTOGRAPH WHALES AND DOLPHINS
SWIMMING WITH DOLPHINS & JEEP TOUR TO FOGO LAKE
SWIMMING WITH DOLPHINS & JEEP TOUR TO FOGO LAKE
A magical morning swimming with the dolphins. We add more fun to the day with an exciting ride, exploring one of the most beautiful lakes of São Miguel.