LAJES DO PICO
Pico Island (see itinerary below)
The multi-day tours are subject to availability of the presented activities.
Check In Times
Dependent on your arrival
Only high season (minimum 2 participants)
Level of Difficulty
Zodiac boat + Van
8 years old (the swimming with dolphins tours are operated in zodiac, children need to reach the ground with their feet for safety reasons)
DAY 1 – Arrival at the hotel. Free day.
DAY 2 – Swimming with dolphins from Lajes do Pico (around 2h30m tour).
- You will swim with wild dolphins in Azorean waters. Before the experience, our marine biologists will explain some safety rules. Usually, the boat takes up to 8 people to swim with the dolphins, this means space for you to feel comfortable. You will go in groups of 2 people to the water at the same time to respect the animals. It’s an exciting experience!
Free afternoon to explore Pico Island. We suggest a jeep tour around the lakes.
DAY 3 – Swimming with dolphins from Lajes do Pico (2h30m trip)
Free afternoon for other activities.
DAY 4 – Van tour around Pico Island. (full-day tour).
- Visit to Torres caves classified as Azores Natural Monument. This is a lava tube with a length of 5 km located in Criação Velha, Madalena.
- Visit to the vineyards in Crianção Velha classified as UNESCO World Patrimony.
- Visit to an old wine production house from the local wine “Verdelho do Pico”
- Lunch at a local restaurant.
DAY 5 – Swimming with dolphins from Lajes do Pico (2h30m trip).
Free afternoon for other activities.
DAY 6 – Swimming with dolphins from Lajes do Pico (2h30m trip) and van tour to “Ponta da Ilha”.
- Swimming with dolphins off the coast of Pico island
- Lunch in a local restaurant.
- Going along the southern coast and visit to the small natural swimming pools formed by lava in the sea (bathing possibility)
- Visit the ancient lighthouse in “Ponta da Ilha”
- Passing by the North part of the island.
- Stops in the best sights spots including great views of São Jorge Island.
DAY 7 – Swimming with dolphins from Lajes do Pico (2h30m trip).
Free afternoon for other activities (we suggest a visit to the Museum of Arts and Science and the Whalers Museum in Lajes).
DAY 8 – Transfer to the airport and departure.
Note: if you wish, Futurismo can also arrange accommodation.
- Transfer airport to hotel and hotel to airport
- Transportation for the land activities from Lajes do Pico
- Five trips to swim with the dolphins;
- Pre-tour briefing;
- Marine biologist on board during the ocean tours;
- English speaking biologist or nature guide. If you prefer another language, please inform us about it;
- Full day tour around Pico Island
- Half day tour to “Ponta da Ilha”.
- Lunch on day 4 & 6
- Life vest mandatory on zodiac boats.
- Lunch in a local restaurant on days 4 and 6 – starter, fish or beef, dessert and drinks included.
Vegetarian options on request. If you have a special diet or food restrictions, please inform us at least 24h before the tour.
- Comfortable light clothes
- Walking boots or shoes
- Swimming suit and towel
- Backpack and bottle of water to refill
Q: How do I get to the Azores?
A: There are direct flights from Lisbon and Porto. Europe, USA and Canada.
Q: Which level should I expect from the activities planned during the package?
A: They are easy level.
Q: This package of active holidays is exclusively for kids older than 8 years old?
A: This is one ideal package for children older than 8 years old and younger as well for the most of the experiences. In the specific case of kids under 8 years old we strongly recommend the catamaran for the whale watching tour and on all the jeep tours we do provide children seats.
Q: Can I touch the dolphins?
A: No. Our responsible swim with dolphin guidelines forbid touching these inquisitive but wild animals.
Q: Can I hear the dolphins?
A: Yes. It is very common to hear them communicating underwater.
Q: How many dolphins can I see?
A: Sometimes less than a dozen, other times up to 50 or more.
Q: Can I swim with the whales?
A: No, swimming with whales is forbidden in the Azores. However, there are several species of dolphins that you are able to swim with.
Species You Might See
“I had a trip with Rui and Maria the marine biologists from Pico Island. Extremely professional, incredibly knowledgable with modern well maintained equipment. I had the pleasure to see playful spotted dolphins, short finned pilot whales with a newborn calf, Rissos dolphins and curvier beaked whales. To cap it all was an extremely rare pygmy sperm whale.”
Mick McGinn – Facebook
“Maria is an awesome guide, we spotted common dolphins, bottlenose and rissos, loggerhead turtles. She made the dolphin experience unforgettable, she invited me in front of the zodiac and it was like flying with the dolphins, you can almost touch them. Obrigada!”
Zsuzsi Ilycsin – Facebook