ALL ABOUT WHALES
We planned everything for you for 7 days. Whale and dolphin watching, swimming in a volcanic crater in the ocean and a lot more.In springtime we have migratory whales in the Azores
Come and try with us the “Cozido” from Furnas, which is cooked underground. It does look good, now you have to taste to know if you like it!See how the Azorean chefs cook the most emblematic dish
VILA FRANCA ISLET
You will bathe in one of the marvelous bays of the Azores. Here you can swim in the middle of the Atlantic, inside a volcanic crater! What a wonderful experience, indeed!See more photos of Vila Franca Islet
São Miguel Island (see itinerary below)
Full week (8 days)
The multi-day tours are subject to availability of the presented activities.
Check In Times
Dependent on your arrival
Year round (minimum 2 participants)
Level of Difficulty
Zodiacs, Catamarans + Vans, Ford Transit
All ages. Catamaran recommended for children and seniors.
DAY 1 – Arrival in Ponta Delgada and transfer to your hotel. Free day.
DAY 2 – Whale and dolphin watching (3-hour trip from Ponta Delgada). Free afternoon for other activities (we suggest a city tour in Ponta Delgada)
Whale and dolphin watching (3-hour trip). Free afternoon for other activities (we suggest a city tour in Ponta Delgada).
- Before the boat trip, our biologists will give you a briefing to explain which cetacean species can be observed, safety measures aboard, how we respect the animals and rules of observation at sea as well as some historical facts. During the tour, each passenger is required to wear a life vest (except on our catamaran). Futurismo also provides raincoats and trousers if necessary.
DAY 3 – Second Whale and dolphin watching (3-hour trip from Ponta Delgada).
Free afternoon for other activities (we suggest a swimming with dolphins trip).
DAY 4 – Full-day tour to Furnas, with a pickup and drop-off at your Hotel.
- Visit to the calderas in Furnas
- Visit to the village of Furnas to see the fumaroles and to try several natural sparkling waters with different tastes and properties.
- Lunch with the famous Cozido meal.
- Exploring the beautiful Terra Nostra Botanical Garden (bath to the thermal pools included)
- Return to Ponta Delgada by the North Coast where you will stop by different viewpoints.
- Visit to Gorreana Tea Factory.
DAY 6 – Combo tour Whale and Dolphin Watching + Visit to Vila Franca do Campo Islet (Full–day tour)
- Whale and dolphin watching, during the morning time.
- Stop in Vila Franca do Campo harbor, the old Capital from São Miguel Island and lunch in a local restaurant.
- Board into a traditional fishing boat that will take you to the Islet (15 min trip).
- Arrival to Vila Franca do Campo Islet, classified as a natural reservation. Here you will be able to snorkel in the salty water of the Atlantic Ocean.
- Returning to Ponta Delgada by boat or by bus.
Note: This activity is only operated from June 15 to September 15. As an alternative, we suggest an adventure tour to Sete Cidades including kayaking in the lake and a bike tour. Another activity can be arranged upon arrival.
DAY 8 – Transfer to the airport and departure.
- Transfer airport to hotel and hotel to airport
- 5 whale and dolphin watching tours
- Briefing before the experiences
- Marine biologist or nature guide on board
- Raincoat and waterproof pants if necessary on the whale watching tours
- Life vest mandatory in the zodiac boats
- Transfer for all the tours outside of Ponta Delgada
- English or Portuguese speaking guides. If you prefer another language, please inform us.
- Full-day Van tour to Furnas with lunch included – the famous Cozido meal.
- Full–day excursion to Vila Franca do Campo Islet with lunch included – or another tour if not available.
- Cozido lunch on day 4 – starter, Cozido, dessert, and drinks included. Cozido contains beef, chicken, pork, spicy sausage, blood sausage, potatoes, sweet potatoes, carrot, cabbage, green kale and yam. All cooked for 6 hours with natural steam only.
- Lunch in a local restaurant on day 6 – starter, fish or beef, dessert, and drinks included.
- *Vegetarian options on request. If you have a special diet or food restrictions, please inform us at least 24h before the tour.
- Comfortable light clothes
- Walking boots or shoes
- Swimming suit and towel
- Backpack and bottle of water to refill
Q: How do I get to the Azores?
A: There are direct flights from Lisbon and Porto. Europe, USA and Canada.
Q: Which level should I expect from the activities planned during the package?
A: They are easy level.
Q: Can my children do this package?
A: This package is available for all ages. If you are travelling with children under 8 years old, we strongly recommend the catamaran for the whale watching tours and on the van tour, we do provide children seats.
Q: In which language is this tour?
A: Mainly Portuguese and English. If you do prefer other language, please contact our travel experts.
Species You Might See
“THEY REALLY WERE FANTASTIC!”
“We booked a package through a third-party that included three half-day trips out to sea to swim with dolphins. We received quite a bit of information beforehand and had been doing our own research.”
Damon Lacey – Facebook
“Great experience! The staff is very kind. We saw humpback whale and many dolphins. Thank you guys! Regards from Hungary.”
Farago Zoltan – Facebook