WHALE AND DOLPHIN WATCHING TRIP
In the 3rd day, we go to the blue ocean to see whales, dolphins, birds and other marine species.Try to spot some of the 28 cetacean species present in the Azores
Visit the plantations and the centenary Gorreana Factory. Take a cup and try this delicious organic tea.The tea factory, plantations and museum “Chá Gorreana” operating since 1883
São Miguel Island (see itinerary below)
The multi-day tours are subject to availability of the presented activities.
Check In Times
Dependent on your arrival
Year round (minimum 2 participants)
Level of Difficulty
Not recommended for children under 8 years old.
Zodiac or Catamarans + Jeeps (Land Rover & Toyota) & Vans (Ford Transit)
All ages. Catamaran recommended for children and seniors.
DAY 1 – Arrival to Ponta Delgada and transfer to your Hotel. Free day.
DAY 2 – Combo Adventure tour to Sete Cidades Volcanic Complex and Fogo Lake with pick up at your hotel. (full-day tour) This ultimate adventure tour will take you to two of the most popular places around São Miguel island: Sete Cidades and Fogo Lake.
- Visit to Sete Cidades caldera
- Visit to Ponta da Ferraria with bathing possibility in thermal waters in the ocean.
- Lunch in a local restaurant
- Visit to Fogo Lake
- Visit to Caldeira Velha with bathing possibility in the warm iron-rich waterfall.
- Drop off at your Hotel.
DAY 3 – Whale and dolphin watching trip from Ponta Delgada (half-day tour)
Try to spot some of the 28 cetacean species present in the Azores during this 3-hour tour to the Atlantic Ocean with our marine biologist’s team.
- Whale and dolphin watching, birds and other marine species during the morning time.
DAY 4 – Full-day tour to Furnas, with pickup at your Hotel.
- Visit to the calderas in Furnas
- Exploring the beautiful Terra Nostra Botanical Garden
- Taking a relaxing bath in the rich thermal waters where the temperatures are around 35º/40º C (95º-105ºF)
- Lunch with the famous Cozido meal.
- Visit to the village of Furnas to see the fumaroles and to try several natural sparkling waters with different tastes and properties.
- Return to Ponta Delgada by the North Coast of São Miguel Island where you will stop by different viewpoints.
- Visit to Gorreana Tea Factory.
- Drop off at your Hotel.
DAY 5 – Transfer from your hotel to the airport and departure.
- Transfer airport to Ponta Delgada hotel and hotel to the airport
- Transportation for the activities outside of Ponta Delgada;
- English or Portuguese speaking guides. If you prefer another language, please inform us about it;
- Briefing before the experiences;
- Marine biologist on board during the ocean tours;
- Lunch on day 2 & 4
- Full-day Combo tour to Sete Cidades and Fogo Lake
- Half-day whale watching tour
- Full-day tour to Furnas
- Rain jackets and waterproof pants if necessary on the whale watching tour (life vest mandatory on zodiac boats.)
- Lunch in a local restaurant on day 2 – starter, fish or beef, dessert and drinks included.
- Cozido lunch on day 4 – starter, Cozido, dessert and drinks included. Cozido contains: beef, chicken, pork, spicy sausage, blood sausage, potatoes, sweet potatoes, carrot, cabbage, green kale and yam. All cooked during 6 hours with natural steam only.
*Vegetarian options on request. If you have a special diet or food restrictions, please inform us at least 24h before the tour.
- Comfortable clothes and shoes
- Swimming suit
- Reusable water bottle to refill and snacks
Q: How do I get to the Azores?
A: There are direct flights from Lisbon and Porto. Europe, USA and Canada.
Q: Which level should I expect from the activities planned during the package?
A: They are easy level.
Q: This package is available from what age?
A: This is an ideal package for the whole family. In the specific case of kids under 8 years old we strongly recommend the catamaran for the whale watching tour and on all the jeep tours we do provide children seats. Please contact us if you are traveling with children.
Q: In which language is this experience?
A: Mainly Portuguese and English. If you do prefer other language, please contact our travel experts.
Species You Might See
“GREAT EXPERIENCES WITH SUPER STAFFS!”
“Everything was easy going in every office where we meet them. The staff was very friendly and we got amazing experiences. Thank you very much for everything!”
Zsuzsi – Tripadvisor
“The dolphins got really close to the boat, which was a wonderful experience. We went on a catamaran with plenty of platforms to observe the animals. Everything was well organized, you get a briefing and a lot of information about the animals.”
dejongs – Tripadvisor