The location of the Azores makes the archipelago a hot spot for migratory whales including the two largest species – blue whale and fin whale.Why you should do Whale watching in Azores?
28 different species of cetaceans have been identified in the Azores. Blue whales, Fin whales and Sei whales are the most sighted during the Springtime.A Sei whale passes under our boat in Pico Island!
Lajes do Pico, Pico Island (see itinerary below)
The multi-day tours are subject to availability of the presented activities.
Check In Times
Dependent on your arrival
Only high season (minimum 2 participants)
Level of Difficulty
Zodiac + Transit Van
8 years old (the ocean tours are operated in zodiac, children need to reach the ground with their feet for safety reasons)
DAY 1 – Arrival and transfer to your hotel. Free day.
DAY 2 – Whale and dolphin watching from Lajes do Pico (3-hour trip).
Prior to our first boat trip, our biologists will give a briefing to explain which species we may be seeing on our excursion. This is followed by a safety explanation and a review of measures to ensure the safety of the whales as we approach. We will also learn some historical facts.
During the tour, each passenger is required to wear a life vest. Futurismo will also provide raincoats and waterproof pants if necessary.
The afternoon will be free to enjoy activities of your choice. We suggest Swimming with Dolphins – slip into the blue Atlantic amongst pods of dolphins swimming, whistling, and checking you out. An unforgettable moment for older kids and adults.
DAY 3 – Whale and dolphin watching from Lajes do Pico (3-hour trip).
Free afternoon for other activities. We suggest a Vineyards Trail Hiking Tour – this 7km (4.3mi), 2.5 hour trek will bring you to perhaps the most unique wine country in the world. Here you’ll find vineyards fashioned from volcanic basalt stone protecting the vines from wind and sea. At this special UNESCO World Heritage site, you’ll learn about and enjoy Pico Island’s unique wine culture.
DAY 4 – Van tour around Pico Island. (full-day tour).
- Visit Torres caves classified as an Azores Natural Monument. This is a lava tube with a length of 5 km located in Criação Velha, Madalena
- Visit the vineyards in Criação Velha classified as a UNESCO World Heritage Site
- Visit a historic winery producing the local wine “Verdelho do Pico”
- Lunch in a local restaurant
- Visit some of the lakes in the area, old harbors, and villages
DAY 5 – Whale and dolphin watching from Lajes do Pico (3-hour trip).
Free afternoon for other activities. We suggest a customized Pico Island Tour that we will personalize to your wishes. Enjoy the island’s volcanic vineyards; take in old harbors and the picturesque North Coast; stop at a whaling museum to learn about our colorful history. Or visit Portugal’s highest peak, Pico Mountain.
DAY 6 – Full day tour – Whale and dolphin watching from Lajes do Pico (3-hour trip) and van tour to “Ponta da Ilha”.
- 3-hour whale and dolphin watching excursion
- Lunch at a local restaurant
- Tour of the southern coast and visit to small natural swimming pools created by lava formations in the sea (possible swimming)
- Visit the ancient lighthouse in “Ponta da Ilha”
- Tour the northern part of the island
- Stops at the best viewing spots with expansive vistas of São Jorge Island
DAY 7 – Whale and dolphin watching from Lajes do Pico (3-hour trip).
Free afternoon for other activities (we suggest a visit to the Museum of Arts and Science and the Whalers Museum in Lajes do Pico).
DAY 8 – Transfer to the airport. Thank you for joining us on this week-long best of Pico Island tour!
Note: if you wish, Futurismo can also arrange for your accommodation.
- Transfer from airport to hotel and hotel to the airport
- Transportation for the land activities from Lajes do Pico
- Five whale and dolphin watching trips;
- Pre-tour briefing;
- English speaking biologist or nature guide; If you prefer another language, please inform us about it;
- Full day tour around Pico Island
- Half day tour to “Ponta da Ilha”
- Lunch in local restaurants on day 4 & 6
- Lunch in local restaurant on days 4 and 6 – starter, fish or beef, dessert and drinks included.
Vegetarian options on request. If you have a special diet or food restrictions, please inform us at least 24h before the tour.
- Comfortable light clothes
- Walking boots or shoes
- Swimming suit and towel
- Backpack and bottle of water to refill
Q: How do I get to the Azores?
A: There are direct flights from Lisbon and Porto. Europe, USA and Canada.
Q: Which level should I expect from the activities planned during the package?
A: They are easy level.
Species You Might See
“We can highly recommend a whale watching tour with futurismo (in Pico) as we were with a small group on a ‘little’ zodiac. The tour on the zodiac was already so much fun but we could also approach the dolphins and some whales on a non-agressive and nearby way.
Our guide Maria (marine biologist) had much knowledge and was so respectful towards the animals. We had a good feeling about the tour and were really lucky on what we saw that day.”
Xdelphinex – Tripadvisor
“GREAT TEAM IN PICO”
“We ended up seeing 3 sperm whales and a whale calf, Portuguese man of war, two turtles and dozens of dolphins swimming and playing around our boat to finish what was already a great tour thanks to wonderful people. Thanks again to Rui, Maria and Ana for making this a truly unforgettable experience!”
Frank Vog – Facebook
THE BEST OF PICO ISLAND
THE BEST OF PICO ISLAND
Tour Pico Island to see its natural sites and charming villages. Add to that a dip in the deep, blue Atlantic, amongst the dolphins, swimming and whistling in their native habitat.