ALWAYS A SURPRISE
Every single whale watching trip is different. Mother nature is unpredictable with our sighthings.
ALL ABOUT WHALES
Watch these giant cetaceans and different species of dolphins, swim in a Vila Franca Islet and visit Furnas.
We planned everything for you during 7 days. Whale and dolphin watching, swimming in a volcanic crater in the ocean and a lot more.
São Miguel Island
Full week (8 days)
Check In Times
Year round (minimum 2 people)
Level of Difficulty
Zodiacs, Catamarans + Vans – Ford Transit
All ages. Catamaran recommended for children and seniors.
DAY 1 – Arrival and transfer to the hotel. Free day.
DAY 2 – Whale and dolphin watching (3-hour trip). Free afternoon for other activities (we suggest a city tour in Ponta Delgada).
- Before the boat trip, our biologists give you a briefing to explain which cetacean species can be observed, safety measures aboard, how we respect the animals and rules of observation at sea as well as some historical facts. During the tour, each passenger is required to wear a life vest (except on our catamaran). Futurismo also provides raincoats and trousers if necessary.
DAY 3 – Whale and dolphin watching (3 hour trip). Free afternoon for other activities (we suggest a swimming with dolphins trip).
DAY 4 – Full day tour to Furnas, with a pickup in your Hotel.
- Visit the calderas in Furnas
- Visit the village of Furnas to see the fumaroles and to try several natural sparkling waters with different tastes and properties.
- Lunch the famous cozido meal.
- Exploring the beautiful Terra Nostra Botanical Garden
- Taking a relaxing bath in the rich thermal waters where the temperatures are around 35º/40º C.
- Returning to Ponta Delgada by the North Coast of São Miguel Island where you will stop in different viewpoints.
- Visit Gorreana Tea Factory.
- Drop off at your Hotel.
DAY 5 – Whale and dolphin watching (3 hour trip). Free afternoon for other activities (we suggest a hiking tour in Sete Cidades).
DAY 6 – Seeing whales and dolphins and visit Vila Franca do Campo Islet (Full day tour)
- Whale and dolphin watching, birds and other marine species during the morning time.
- Stop in Vila Franca do Campo harbor, the old Capital from São Miguel Island and lunch on a local restaurant.
- Board into one traditional fishing boat that will take you to the Islet (15 min trip).
- Arrival to Vila Franca do Campo Islet, classified as a natural reservation. Here you will be able to snorkel in the salty water of the Atlantic Ocean.
- Returning to Ponta Delgada by boat or by bus.
Note: This activity is only operated from June to September. We do have alternative experiences that we can recommend.
DAY 7 – Whale and dolphin watching (3-hour trip). Free afternoon for other activities (we suggest a jeep safari to Lagoa do Fogo).
DAY 8 – Transfer to the airport and departure.
- Transfer airport – Hotel and Hotel – airport
- 5 whale and dolphin watching tours
- Briefing before the experiences
- Marine biologist or nature guide on board
- Transfer for all the tours
- English or Portuguese speaking guides. If you prefer another language, please inform us about it.
- Full day excursion to Vila Franca do Campo Islet with lunch included.
- Furnas Full day with lunch included – the famous Cozido meal.
Bring comfortable light clothes, sweater, raincoat, walking boots or shoes, swimming suit and towel hat, sunblock, backpack and bottle of water to refill.
- Cozido lunch on day 4 – starter, Cozido, dessert, and drinks included. Cozido contains beef, chicken, pork, spicy sausage, blood sausage, potatoes, sweet potatoes, carrot, cabbage, green kale. All cooked for 6 hours with natural steam only.
- Lunch in a local restaurant on day 6 – starter, fish or beef, dessert, and drinks included.
*Vegetarian options on request (24h before the trip)
Q: How do I get to the Azores?
R: There are direct flights from Lisbon and Porto. Europe, EUA and Canadá.
Q: Which level should I expect from the activities planned during the package?
R: They are easy level.
Q: This package of active holidays is exclusively for kids older than 8 years old?
R: This is one ideal package for children older than 8 years old and younger as well for the most of the experiences. In the specific case of kids under 8 years old we strongly recommend the catamaran for the whale watching tour and on all the jeep tours we do provide children seats.
Q: In which language is this tour?
R: Mainly Portuguese and English. If you do prefer other language, please contact our travel experts.
Species You Might See
“THEY REALLY WERE FANTASTIC!”
“We booked a package through a third-party that included three half-day trips out to sea to swim with dolphins. We received quite a bit of information beforehand and had been doing our own research.”
Damon Lacey – Facebook
“Great experience! The staff is very kind. We saw humpback whale and many dolphins. Thank you guys! Regards from Hungary.”
Farago Zoltan – Facebook