The location of the Azores makes the archipelago a hot spot for migratory whales including the two largest species – blue whale and fin whale.
It’s been identified 28 different species of cetaceans in the Azores.
LEARN TO PROTECT
We have more than 10 years of whale watching experience and research.
Lajes do Pico, Pico Island
Check In Times
Year round (minimum 2 people)
Level of Difficulty
Zodiac + Jeep or Transit Van
8 years old
DAY 1 – Arrival and transfer to the hotel. Free day.
DAY 2 – Whale and dolphin watching (3-hour trip). Free afternoon for other activities (we suggest a half day jeep safari to the lakes).
- Before the boat, our biologists give you a briefing to explain which cetacean species can be observed, safety measure trip s aboard, how we respect the animals and rules of observation at sea as well as some historical facts. During the tour, each passenger is required to wear a life vest. Futurismo also provides raincoats and trousers if necessary.
DAY 3 – Whale and dolphin watching (3-hour trip). Free afternoon for other activities.
DAY 4 – Jeep tour or van tour around Pico Island. Lunch is included. (full day).
- Visit Torres caves classified as Azores Natural Monument. This is a lava tube with a length of 5 km located in Criação Velha, Madalena.
- Visit the vineyards in Crianção Velha classified as UNESCO World Patrimony.
- Visit an old wine production house from the local wine “Verdelho do Pico”
- Lunch at a local restaurant.
- After lunch, we will continue our tour around Pico Island. We will see some of the lakes, enjoy the nature and go through some of the old harbors and villages.
DAY 5 – Whale and dolphin watching (3-hour trip). Free afternoon for other activities.
DAY 6 – Whale and dolphin watching (3 hour trip) and van tour to “Ponta da Ilha”. Lunch included. Return to the hotel.
- After the whale watching trip, we stop to have lunch in a local restaurant. After lunch, we go along the southern coast and visit the small natural swimming pools formed by lava in the sea (swim possibility), visit the ancient lighthouse in “Ponta da Ilha” and continue to the north part of the island. Stops in the best sights spots including great views of São Jorge Island.
DAY 7 – Whale and dolphin watching (3-hour trip). Free afternoon for other activities (we suggest a visit to the Museum of Arts and Science and the Whalers Museum in Lajes).
DAY 8 – Transfer to the airport and departure.
- Transfers airport, hotel & airport
- Five whale and dolphin watching trips;
- Pre-tour briefing;
- English speaking biologist or nature guide;
- Full day tour around Pico Island with lunch included;
- Half day tour to “Ponta da Ilha” with lunch included.
Bring comfortable light clothes, sweater, raincoat, walking boots or shoes, swimming suit and towel, hat, sunblock, backpack and bottle of water to refill.
- Lunch in local restaurant on days 4 and 6 – starter, fish or beef, dessert and drinks included.
*Vegetarian options on request (24h before the trip)
Q: How do I get to the Azores?
R: There are direct flights from Lisbon and Porto. Europe, EUA and Canadá.
Q: Which level should I expect from the activities planned during the package?
R: They are easy level.
Species You Might See
“THEY REALLY WERE FANTASTIC!”
“We booked a package through a third-party that included three half-day trips out to sea to swim with dolphins. We received quite a bit of information beforehand and had been doing our own research.”
Damon Lacey – Facebook
“Great experience! The staff is very kind. We saw humpback whale and many dolphins. Thank you guys! Regards from Hungary.”
Farago Zoltan – Facebook
PICO ISLAND TOUR AND SWIMMING
PICO ISLAND TOUR AND SWIMMING
We will drive you around Pico to learn more about this Island. And imagine yourself floating in the deep blue ocean of the Atlantic, watching and hearing dolphins in their natural habitat.